01708 757575 mbs@ker.co.uk Enterprise House, 18 Eastern Road, Romford, Essex UK, RM1 3PJ

Let us help you buy or sell in the Barbican

If you are buying or selling a property in the Barbican we will discount our fees and try to better your alternative quotation not only on price but also on service.

Our prices start from just £599 plus VAT and disbursements.

Email Mark Sadler on mbs@ker.co.uk or call me on 0800 092 6261 for a personalised estimate of our charges.


In addition to our fees, on a sale you will need to obtain an assignment pack from the Corporation of London (the Landlord). Generally the fee is £140 but if you require a faster response (5 day turn around) the fee rises to £280.

In relation to a purchase a notice of assignment and possibly mortgage is required at a cost of £60.00 each. If the sale includes the assignment of a car parking or baggage storage agreement a further fee of £60 is payable. There is no VAT on these charges.

For further details on these charges see the Barbican Estate Office Charges Pack


Things to consider when you are buying or selling in the Barbican

Service Charges

Current Service Charge Estimates by Building (remember there is no sinking fund for major works. This does create fluctuations when something major is repaired e.g. lifts). You can check with the estate office for details.


Almost any alteration in the Barbican (whether internal orexternal) need some sort of consent. The three types of consent required are:

  • Listed Building Consent
  • Landlord’s Consent
  • Building Regulations Approval.

If you are selling you need to obtain these to provide to your buyer. Any buyer will insist on these being obtained before exchange. If you don’t have the right permissions this can cause problems but retrospective consent can often be obtained (although this will take time and may require you to open up bits of the property that have been finished. Remember consent is not always guaranteed e.g. wooden flooring is never permitted).
Generally you are going to need a professional architect or surveyor to produce the necessary drawings (usually before and after) to obtain these consents. Fees will be payable depending on the nature of the works but it is worth getting it right before you sell as this would delay and could jeopardise your sale if not put right quickly.

Essential Links

Information for Barbican Residents – the residents information guide produced by the Corporation of London
Barbican Estate Management Main Page – contact details and opening hours
Barbican Association – the official voice of residents – this will give you information on nearby developments which might affect the Barbican including Crossrail.
Barbican Talk – residents on-line forum
Arts music theatre and dance at the Barbican – what’s on at the Barbican centre

1 comment on “Let us help you buy or sell in the Barbican

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *